Sunday, June 21, 2015

Role Models

I've had several role models in my life.  The most significant have been from my family.  But there have also been 2 fictional characters who've contributed to my ideas of who and how I should be.

Family first.  My mom Betty was the kindest soul I ever met.  She accepted unquestioningly, and criticized gently.  My sister Pat exemplifies Winston Churchill's definition of courage - grace under pressure.  My Aunt Martha was sharp as a tack, had an acerbic wit, and used her gifts with humor.

In fiction, my two role models are each professional women who haven't forgotten how to care.  Each appeared in a successful film - Annette Benning's character of Sydney Ellen Wade in The American President, and the unnamed editor of a small-town newspaper in Field of Dreams.

I think all these women would understand and accept wholeheartedly my affection for and appreciation of J. Thadeus Toad.

No comments:

Post a Comment